Thursday, May 12, 2016

Canceling my summer trip to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I didn't want to, but today I had to; canceling my upcoming trip to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil that is.

Ever since I scored a great deal on tickets to fly in a day before the start of the 2016 Olympic Games, back in January, it's all I'd talked about to anyone who would listen. My former graduate school roommate, who is Brazilian and currently lives in Rio, was excited. Since she left the program in 2010, we've talked about me visiting her exotic South American abode. I couldn't make it to her wedding, and she'd recently given birth to her first child in January; a girl named Mariah. So it was a good time to fulfill my promise.



So we were both excited about my impending trip. I was already fantasizing about what other South American country I would tag on to my trip, with Argentina and Peru being my top choices. To compound my excitement, the Brazilian government announced it would be waiving the $150 visa fee for the summer months between June and September to encourage more tourist visits to the country around the Olympics. Major score!

It wasn't too long after that reports started pouring in about an outbreak of a new virus called Zika, which researchers have said is spread through mosquitoes. if you know anything about Brazil and its sprawling amazons, you can understand how the virus could spread quickly. And with the Olympics scheduled to begin Aug. 5th, many were questioning if the event should be postponed or the venue moved. I had covered a FIFA World Cup tournament, but had never been to an Olympic event. So this was going to be it for me. Plus, I was communicating with my dear friend, who I felt was more reliable than the excessive media reports about the outbreak. Since airlines were promising to issue refunds for tickets purchased to Brazil, we decided I would wait it out with hopes that the situation would get better as the date drew closer. Last week, I even started looking at tickets to Argentina.

But few days ago, I read this news story from one of Brazil's most prolific soccer players Rivaldo, who strongly suggested that tourists avoid Brazil this year due to the increasing level of violent crimes, saying the government couldn't ensure our safety, nor could hospitals protect our health. I'm not one to be easily swayed by public fear (I visited Istanbul, Turkey amid increasing street protests by its citizens and went to South Africa over similar fears of violence during the World Cup,) so I brushed it off. But the negative reports continued. Another news story mentioned that the virus was increasingly getting worse. It was time to check in once again with my girl.

Rivaldo says 'don't come to Brazil...so I won't.'
Sadly, after a chat with my friend today, I made the painful decision to call and cancel my flight when she explained that the situation has indeed gotten worse. As I mentioned, she recently had a baby (thankfully without any complications,) and she summarized our conversation by saying, "I have never been so scared here. They are stealing cars a lot and killing people like it is not a big deal. I wish I could take Mariah and leave there."

I always felt that since I would be staying with her, I would be fine emulating exactly what she was doing. Using a lot of repellent to hold off mosquitoes and moving around with her. But now even she was seriously concerned?

I planned to take my new camera to work on two mini documentaries I had in mind. How can I walk around freely holding something so expensive while people were being killed during robberies? I'd not only be endangering myself, but my host and her family as well. More importantly, how would the virus affect me in the long run? So far, scientists have been able to provide sound proof that the virus is linked to birth defects, but media reports have also cited others saying no one has been able to determine exactly how long the virus stays in the body. I am not pregnant, nor do I expect to be in the next year. But how can I live with myself if I find out much later in life that my trip could have a life-altering effect on me and my possible future family?

It may seem a little farfetched, but other women are pondering similar decisions. U.S. women's soccer goalkeeper Hope Solo has publicly shared similar concerns about the issue. But men aren't exempt from the ramifications of contracting the virus as it can be transmitted sexually to their partners as well.

There'll be no visit to the famous Christ the Redeemer statue
Needless to say, there won't be a trip to Brazil or South America this year. But I will be posting my long overdue trips to the Caribbean between the Christmas and New Year breaks. I've been working too hard to be able to afford these trips, and I haven't had much time for regular blogging. I know a lot of people look forward to where I would be headed next, and this cancellation won't end my goal of visiting at least one new country every year. I have something else in the works, which I hope to share sooner than it's taken to share my Caribbean cruise. Until then, I encourage my readers to get out more and "discover, explore and share" your experiences with me.

Note: I wrote this while waiting on hold to cancel the flight, and I have to say I was still struggling from buyer's–or should I say refund's–remorse. I was asked five times if I want to go ahead, and each time I wanted to stop myself and say NO!

2 comments:

  1. How did I not know about this blog? Great stuff I'll be watching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. Such a bummmer.But hey safety first right. Have to keep you alive to continue to bring us tales from around the world.

    ReplyDelete